Friday, July 20, 2007

Writin' Update

During the Danish invasion most recently -- read: a friend from Denmark visited for a couple plus weeks -- I got no writing whatever done. And because I'd been writing a touch slowly beforehand I decided to go back and re-read what I'd written for Simon Peter. While I can see that Simon Peter is a good book, at the same time I have to continue to admit I hate reading what I write.

I tried to explain it to a friend of mine. I told her that it's like taking a really good book, and reading it once, and then reading it, again, for six months. That I've been working on this for a long time and it's driving me crazy, and to go back and re-read it is a tedious and difficult experience. Still, I feel I need to do it to more fully understand the complexities of character and plot so that when I start writing, again, which will be Monday, certainly, I'll be able to advance more confidentally. But it's still terribly dull most of the time. And, more horrific yet, when I've added 40% more to it, I'll have to go back and read it again in order to start the editing procedure! It's enough to make a person weep.

But, that's the status of writing Simon Peter.

1 comment:

James Higham said...

You're also writing a book? We all seem to be doing it.